Friday, November 1, 2013

Who's Awesome?

Why, yes, in fact. You're absolutely right.

I am.

The brilliant Stephen Sondheim once wrote, in the beautiful song Finishing the Hat, the following lyrics:

"Look, I made a hat!
Where there never was a hat!"

Indeed, as we speak, there reside 4,069 words in a beautiful line that were not there when I woke up this morning. Not only did I write my required quotient for the first day of NaNoWriMo, I've written tomorrow's and part of Sunday's as well. But I don't plan to take it easy.

Despite a lousy day at work, and a noisy evening at home which consisted of my husband and his friend watching their beloved wrestling matches at top volume, I have persevered and succeeded. Think what I could do on a less busy and less stressful day.

For the first time in a long while, I have my confidence back. I'm not sure whether it's getting married, getting a house, or just plain getting sick of going nowhere at work, but I'm not scared of the writing anymore. The words are pretty terrible and disjoined in places, but there are sentences, and I'm pretty sure they're somewhere approaching coherent. It's a lousy start, but it's a start.

And besides, if the NaNo pep talkers are anything to go by, maybe first drafts are always supposed to be punishingly bad. Maybe that's how nature weeds out the bad novelists? If you're not really dedicated, you will never get to the diamond in the rough.

Well, that's what I'm hoping anyway. Because rough going or not, I'm forging full-speed ahead.



INSPIRATION: the deep pink clouds of sunset and the blanket of fallen orange leaves coating the grass by the side of the highway

MUSIC: horrendous karaoke from when I was in college that I was uploading to Skydrive. For completion's sake and because I never delete anything, not because I actually thought I could sing in college. Seriously. I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment